Thursday, September 12, 2013

Gamifecation

"Gameifecation" is an entertaining way to keep children focused and involved in class. With different games for different subjects such as memory, building vocabulary the children can improve their skills.

We discussed the subject of gamification described in the previous post with a role-playing game. The format was a late night talk show hosted by Svenja, directed and recorded by Cigdem. Anthony was against gamification, I decided to be pro gamification because there were certain periods in my childhood that I enjoyed playing games and a chance of using an activity that I enjoy to learn was intriguing. In high school when I was playing basketball, I used to use computer games to make plays on offense, it helped me to play smarter in real world games. If new types of games using a similar way to help pupils to learn were developed, it would be a great supplement to school.

Here is the list of arguments summed up by Svenja, representing our discussions prior to the "Late Night with Svenja Shneider".

Pros
  • Use it as a part of the education
  • Useful for creativity
  • Gamification can learn the kids to hold attention on a subject
  • Multisenses -> it's a different way of learning
  • Motivation
  • Children can improve their self-confidence
  • Games are for every age

Cons
  • You can get addicted
  • Live in your own world and not in the real world anymore
  • Losing the social aspect of being in a group
  • Forget how to play with simple things like lego, cars, etc.
  • (Video)games make human unsocial




Even though Anthony had better arguments then me in our discussion, I think our role-playing game was a perfect example of how to use games as a part of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment